Office of Jeh Johnson, secretary of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
Sample talking points
- Pastor Max’s family, church, and community continue to feel the great loss after he was deported to Honduras nearly a year ago. His deportation was a grave injustice that should be remedied by your office.
- Please urge ICE to follow their own guidelines. Pastor Max, and many others like him, never should have been deported. Max’s 20 years in the U.S., his young children, his service as a pastor and strong ties to the community should have been weighed against a 15-year old DUI conviction.
- Your office says that ICE is only deporting those who pose a threat to public safety, but this is not the case. Pastor Max is clearly not a threat to anyone but was an asset to his community.
- I ask you to correct this mistake immediately by returning pastor Max to his family in Iowa City.
- This is not just about Pastor Max, it’s about all the families across the country who are being needlessly separated. And it’s about the common sense, humane immigration enforcement President Obama has promised.